AEM Groups – Boards and Board-Level Committees
Government & Public Affairs Committee
To identify and prioritize key public policy issues and to provide leadership and guidance on political advocacy to the AEM Board of Directors, the AG and CE Sector Boards and AEM staff on advancing the issues to represent the interests of the AEM membership.
The Chair of the Government & Public Affairs Committee is appointed by the AEM Chair each November. Serves one-year term. No term limits. GPAC Chair typically serves two consecutive one-year terms.
Committee primarily made up of AEM Directors, Sector Board Directors and non-Director members who share a common interest in global public policy issues. Members are appointed by the AEM Chair. Members can be reappointed and there are no term limits.
- Provide input, review progress and provide strategic guidance on key priority issues and initiatives.
- Review proposed AEM issue positions, consult with AG and CE Sector Boards on sector priority issues and recommend annual AEM policy issue agenda to the Board.
- Act as ambassadors for AEM policy agenda and political advocacy activities, including participation in AEMPAC, with the Board of Directors, AG and CE Sector Boards and AEM membership at large; fulfill the responsibilities defined in the "AEM Advocates" program of advocacy activities, including meeting with Members of Congress and Administration officials, hosting Congressional visits to in-district facilities, and providing Congressional testimony, as appropriate.
2014 Committee Objectives
- Sustain and expand AEM leadership in public policy advocacy on issues critical to the equipment manufacturing industry.
- Serve as committed, active advocates for AEM policy vision on comprehensive transportation, water and energy infrastructure investment; progressive agriculture and export policies; tax reform, fiscal responsibility and other developing issues.
- Coordinate effectively with AG and CE Sector Boards in development of AEM public policy agenda.
- Continue to promote growth of AEMPAC, including support for annual AEMPAC auction, liaison with Associate Member Group, expanding understanding and participation throughout the Association membership, and meaningful contribution to qualified candidates.
- Integrate public policy initiatives in all AEM programs and services.