12/3/2012Advisor Newsletters - AEM Advisor
As we finish our work to complete goals this year, I want to thank all AEM member companies for their support of the Association. Their membership and engagement makes possible our work on their behalf and for the industry.
The whole point of AEM is to support you, the member, and the equipment manufacturing industry. We do that by providing the services and programs you told us in the membership survey that you need to help grow your businesses, both domestically and globally. Most importantly, we act to ensure you receive the best possible return on investment for your dollars and time as an AEM member.
Now it’s time to renew your commitment to your Association and the industry. To continue our work together as a strong and unified voice for the industry, we have sent you an AEM membership renewal letter. We stood together in 2012 and achieved great things, and we strongly urge you to re-engage with AEM for another successful year in 2013.
The Value of Your AEM Membership
When you are an AEM member, you are part of an Association that is committed to providing your company and its employees with a wide range of business development services and market support that will positively affect operating results.
In 2013 we will build on the accomplishments of 2012. We will continue to emphasize member engagement as key to enhanced activities and results in advocacy, especially, and we will continue to respond to the member survey results to provide you with more value from our core services.
Here’s a snapshot look at 2012 action:
Global Public Policy
- Successfully lobbied the House and Senate to pass the Highway Bill
- AEM is an active member of the Farm Bill NOW Coalition and sponsored National Ag Day promoting the importance of Ag production
- Established a congressional facility tour program that is bringing AEM member companies together with their congressional representatives in manufacturing facilities back home
- Organized and targeted small- and medium-sized AEM members to successfully urge support for passage of Export-Import Bank reauthorization
- AEM’s I Make America campaign rolled out new campaigns and activities with 22,000+ supporters
Market Information – Statistics, Surveys, & Industry Trends
- Launched new North American reporting programs:
- Agriculture: Air Hoe Drill, Coulter Drill, Vertical Tillage, Draper Heads
- Construction: Contractor Pump Program
- Mining: Underground loaders
- Partnered with Chinese Association CAMM to offer a new monthly China Ag Tractor and Combine report
- Construction and Ag Industry Dashboards consolidating general and economic industry data were created and posted online for the convenience of members
Technical & Safety
- Served in a leadership role of Agricultural Electronics Foundation, holding two PlugFests and developing a database so that industry may track compatibility of electronic components
- Monitored EU REACH regulation developments, ensured member awareness of the impact on their businesses and proposed a plan to help members with compliance
- Produced a new Agricultural Sprayer Safety Manual as well as the first AEM e-book, the Hydraulic Excavator Safety Manual
- Record attendance, exhibit space, number of exhibitors and education tickets sold for World of Asphalt Show & Conference 2012 and co-located AGG1 Aggregates Academy and Expo 2012
- AG CONNECT 2013 and CONEXPO-CON/AGG have already set records for exhibit space sold
- CONEXPO-CON/AGG – #1 Gold 100 and highest global participation and ICUEE – #3 Gold 100
- The Board of Directors approved a unified international construction exhibition strategy for developing markets, beginning with Latin America and South Africa
Global Business Development
- Provided individual attention and consultation to over 40 members in their efforts to expand their business in Latin America
- Organized face-to-face meetings with Brazilian-based equipment manufacturers to advance the implementation of a Retail Stats Program
- Secured endorsement from key contractors and the Chilean Construction Chamber towards establishing an operator training program in Chile
- Outsourced a list of potential equipment distributors in Colombia to help members expand and/or establish new equipment distributors
- AEM education served more than 1,000 equipment manufacturing professionals from 350-plus companies in 2012 with a 90 percent satisfaction rating
- Annual Conference attendance increased 10 percent to 415 participants
AEM’s New Financial Model – Great Benefits, Small Costs
You have heard about AEM’s new financial model, designed to reduce reliance on our trade show revenue. With the 2013 budget, we will begin to improve non-exhibition revenue to achieve a sustainable and more balanced financial model, and with it, the resources that allow AEM to improve and expand services to meet member needs.
The primary impact areas of the new financial model are:
- Small increase in base dues rates approved for 2013, 2014, and 2015 depending on membership category to partially offset loss of dues “purchasing power” resulting from no increases since 2002
- Establishment of statistics fees for significant users of statistics to partially offset the 26 percent increase in program costs over 10 years from inflation, program improvements and expansion
This new financial model will contribute more than $800,000 to the 2013 budget net operating income.
My October 11, 2012 Advisor letter entitled The New AEM Financial Model: Why It’s Essential to Our Future provides more detailed information. You can also review the complete new financial model on the AEM website. If you have any questions about the new financial model or any other Association activity, feel free to contact me.
Please renew your membership at this time to continue your AEM membership benefits and services. To process your 2013 renewal please go to https://adu.aem.org. Be sure to allow enough time to process your 2013 renewal form and payment delivery before December 31, 2012.
There is strength in numbers, and we now have a record high number of AEM members – a total of 900 for 2012, including 97 new members this year. This level of recruitment and retention of members makes AEM a more potent advocate for industry concerns, trade shows, and on Capitol Hill.
With your continued support and involvement as AEM members, we will work together to provide services to best serve your company and the interests in our industry.
AEM Advisor Categories
Get the Latest from AEM and the Industry
Get AEM and industry news delivered directly to your inbox. Sign up for AEM newsletters, industry news feeds and other important announcements.
Follow AEM on Twitter
AEM is on Twitter as @aemadvisor. Follow us for AEM and industry news updates, public policy developments and more.