AEM Staff Contact
Technical & Safety Services Manager | 414-298-4126
The Environmental & Reduction Equipment Council serves the needs of AEM member companies who manufacture high-speed grinders (horizontal & tub), low-speed shredders, stump grinders, whole tree chippers, brush (hand fed) chippers, mulching attachments, and flail delimber/debarkers.
The Council aids equipment manufacturer efforts to meet the safety and productivity needs of material reduction equipment operators and owners.
The group, formed in 2013, addresses issues of interest to member manufacturers of size reduction equipment and their major component suppliers. This includes technical and safety topics, advocating with Standards Development Organizations (SDO's) in North America and Worldwide on standards issues, advocating with government agency rulemaking processes, and working in other issues of interest to the member firms and their machine operators/owners.
Some current projects are:
- Operator Safety Manual for handfed (brush) chippers. - JUST COMPLETED!
- An Operator Safety Manual for high speed grinders - work now beginning
- An Operator Safety Manual for mulching machinery - to start approximately Oct 15
- Three ad hoc committees to propose needed safety pictorial graphics for decals, one committee each for machine fed (whole tree) chippers, for high-speed grinders, and for handfed chippers. Finished graphics will be added to AEM's Safety Pictorial Database.
- Support of ISO TC23/SC15 US Technical Advisory Group (US TAG) work developing new standards for machine fed chippers, horizontal/tub grinders, and mulching equipment.
- Study options available to eliminate or reduce the hazard of thrown objects from chipping, grinding and mulching equipment, and prepare an industry consensus machine operating best practice document.
The EREC meets in person twice each year, with online meetings held if needed at other times.