Robert B. Crain
Komatsu America Corp.
AEM Staff Contact
Senior Vice President, Government & Industry Relations | 202-898-9065
Vice President, Public Affairs & Advocacy | 202-615-0096
Director, Government Affairs | 202-898-9067
To prioritize and guide key public policy, AEMPAC and grassroots initiatives to the AEM Board of Directors, the AG and CE Sector Boards and AEM staff on advancing the issues to represent the interests of the AEM membership.
The Chair of the Government & Public Affairs Committee is appointed by the AEM Chair each November. Serves one-year term. No term limits. GPAC Chair typically serves two consecutive one-year terms.
- Committee primarily made up of AEM Directors, Sector Board Directors, and non-Director members who share a common interest in global public policy issues. Members are appointed by the AEM Chair.
- Committee terms are annual appointments with no term limits.
- Identify AEM public policy priorities, issues and objectives.
- Provide input, review progress and provide strategic guidance on key policy and political issues and initiatives.
- Review proposed AEM issue positions, consult with AG and CE Sector Boards on sector priority issues and recommend annual AEM policy issue agenda to the AEM Board.
- Act as ambassadors for AEM policy agenda and political advocacy efforts, including participation in AEMPAC, with the Board of Directors, AG and CE Sector Boards and AEM membership at large; fulfill the responsibilities defined in the "AEM Advocates" program of advocacy activities, including meeting with Members of Congress and Administration officials, hosting Congressional visits to in-district facilities and providing Congressional testimony, as appropriate.
2017 Committee Objectives
- Identify key new Administration officials and educate on AEM's key policies.
- Sustain and expand AEM leadership in public policy advocacy on issues critical to the equipment manufacturing industry, with an emphasis on state initiatives.
- Coordinate and guide AEM’s policy and political initiatives.
- Serve as committed, active advocates for AEM policy vision on comprehensive transportation, water and energy infrastructure investment; progressive agriculture and export policies; tax reform, fiscal responsibility and other developing issues.
- Coordinate effectively with AG and CE Sector Boards in development of AEM public policy agenda.
- Continue to promote growth of AEMPAC, liaison with Associate Member Group, expanding understanding and participation throughout the Association membership, and meaningful contribution to qualified candidates.
- Integrate public policy initiatives in all AEM programs and services.
- Canada Working Group
- I Make America Committee
- Infrastructure Vision 2050 Task Force
- State Governmnet Affairs Committee
- Tax Policy Working Group
- Trade Policy Working Group