Compaction & Paving Machinery Technical Committee (CPMTC)
Groups by type
Groups by sector
The Compaction & Paving Machinery Technical Committee (CPMTC) deals with topics affecting manufacturers of rollers, compactors, cold planers, soil stabilizers, asphalt pavers, asphalt plants, material transfer vehicles (MTVs)/mobile feeders, and the manufacturers of the major components of these products.
- Product safety
- Discussing and sharing information on technical subjects of interest to the industry
- Development of global product standards e.g., ISO, CEN and other standards development organizations (SDOs)
- Industry response and input into proposed rules and regulations under consideration by North American agencies such as OSHA and EPA
- Development amd maintenance of a variety of product-specific safety manuals to improve machine operator and worker safety
Rollers, compactors, cold planers, soil stabilizers, material transfer vehicles, asphalt pavers, asphalt plants and their attachments along with major components.
- Tracking development of regulations being drafted and/or going into effect in various international markets that may impact manufacturer ability to export to those markets, or call for changes to design or documentation in order to maintain market access.
- Monitoring and contributing to issues around enforcement of OSHA's respirable crystalline silica rule, published in 2016.
- Maintenance / updating the CPMTC Safety Publications to promote operator best practices and worksite safety.
- Engagement in the development of International product standards for machinery and equipment that fall under ISO/TC 195.
The CPMTC has developed and maintains several publications:
- Asphalt Paver Operator Safety Manual
- Cold Planer (Milling Machine) Soil Stabilizer Operator Safety Manual
- Hot Mix Asphalt Production Facility (Batch/Drum) Operator Safety Manual
- Roller Compactor Operator Safety Manual
- Roller Compactor Safety Video (DVD)
- Vibratory Roller Handbook (pdf)
- Uniform Method for Rating Vibratory Plates (pdf)
- Uniform Method for Rating Vibratory Rammers (pdf)
- Cold Planer/Milling Machine Handbook (pdf)
Equipment Operator Safety Manuals are member-developed publications intended to increase the use of industry identified operator best practices, to improve worksite safety for operators and for co-workers near the equipment. In addition, the manuals help protect the industry's image by minimizing injuries and risk.
These very economical books may be purchased at the AEM Store by manufacturers, dealers, rental outlets, trade schools and workers. Quantity discounts are available.
Certain other CPMTC publications are available for download as PDF documents at no charge. These copyrighted documents are available for industry use and benefit only. They may be distributed within a manufacturer's, distributor's or contractor's organization, provided that they are always transmitted in their complete form. These documents may not be reproduced in any form for public distribution or consumption without the prior written consent of the Association of Equipment Manufacturers.
AEM Staff Contact
Senior Director, Construction, CE Sector