AEM Staff Contact
Technical & Safety Services Manager | 414-298-4126
The Compaction & Paving Machinery Technical Committee (CPMTC) deals with issues affecting manufacturers of rollers, compactors, cold planers, soil stabilizers, asphalt pavers, transfer vehicles, and the manufacturers of the major components of these products, including:
- Product safety and technical concerns
- Product standards processes of SAE, ANSI, ISO and others
- Industry response and input into proposed rules and regulations under consideration by North American and International agencies such as OSHA, MSHA and EPA
- Works with other Technical & Safety Advisory groups, such as the Silica/Milling Machine Alliance Partnership, to promote a safer work environment around equipment
- Develops and maintains product type safety manuals to improve machine operator and worker safety
Rollers, compactors, cold planers, soil stabilizers, transfer vehicles, asphalt pavers, and their attachments/major components.
- Defining physical and 3-D coordinate references for automated systems controlling paving material depth, width and direction, toward development of industry standards.
- Silica Alliance work to reduce worker silica exposure in the work environment around pavement milling machinery.
- Monitoring and contributing to OSHA's proposed respirable crystalline silica rule update.
- Maintenance / updating the CPMTC Safety Publications to promote operator best practices and worksite safety.
The CPMTC has developed and maintains several publications:
- Asphalt Paver Safety Manual
- Cold Planer (Milling Machine) Soil Stabilizer Safety Manual
- Hot Mix Asphalt Production Facility (Batch/Drum) Safety Manual
- Roller Compactor Safety Manual
- Roller Compactor Video (DVD)
- Vibratory Roller Handbook (pdf)
- Uniform Method for Rating Vibratory Plates (pdf)
- Uniform Method for Rating Vibratory Rammers (pdf)
- Cold Planer/Milling Machine Handbook (pdf)
Equipment Operator Safety Manuals are member-developed publications that feature a comprehensive set of operator best practices, to improve worksite safety for operators and co-workers near the equipment. In addition, the manuals help protect the industry's image by minimizing injuries and risk.
These economical books may be purchased at the AEM Store by manufacturers, dealers, rental outlets, trade schools and workers. Quantity discounts are available.
Certain CPMTC publications are available for download as PDF documents at no charge. These copyrighted documents are available for industry use and benefit only. They may be distributed within a manufacturer's, distributor's or contractor's organization, provided that they are always transmitted in their complete form. These documents may not be reproduced in any form for public distribution or consumption without the prior written consent of the Association of Equipment Manufacturers.